Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Gandhigiri makes a dude cool?

I saw “Munnabhai Lage Raho” today and I loved watching the movie but the fact that we, the people of India, have forgotten Bapu and his ideals made me sad. I wondered if this movie could make Gandhigiri cool? Most importantly, I wondered if it would stay or pass by as another cool wave….on the birth anniversary of Gandhijee, this was the best thing to ponder upon…

Gandhigiri, as we err… Munnabhai says it, is not to stay for long. So, am I dismissing it as a mere facet of entertainment? Would the impressions of Gandhigiri made by a movie would be forgotten once it is out of theatres and people’s mind?

Unfortunately, yes! There have been movies on numerable issues like dowry, killing of girl child at birth, the plight of widows and above all on corruption. Only if we had persisted with our feeling of the evils, which these practises unleash on our socieities, our country would have been a utopian society.

“I love Gandhigiri in the movie”, my friend said “and I am going to watch it again”. He added that “I loved the movie so much that I have bought the tickets in black!” My nephew told me that “it is an ultimate movie, we missed school to see it again”. Now wait, it’s not what Gandhigiri is or am I missing the point?

Like many, I am also influenced by Gandhiji’s principles and I believe that movie has done a lot good to the country. Even if most of the people will remember only the movie and not Gandhiji’s ideals, there would be a small percentage of people whose faith in Gandhigiri would strengthen. These are those people who believed in Gandhiji and were ridiculed by others who thought it’s not cool. They needed support and an opportunity to ascertain themselves that their faith is not misled. This movie provided the opportunity and saved many “Gandhians” to lost in the “cool” wave of unethical opportunitism.

These people, handful they might be, and their resolve to change will definitely affect others and would leave a lasting impression, unlike the movie.