Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Obesity - a lethal weapon?

Aug 29, 2006 – Tuesday

What I enjoyed doing today:

In Belgium, there are only few channels that show movies in English (thank God!) and VT4 is 1 of them. Yesterday they showed a movie named – “Lethal Weapon IV”. I didn’t even know that there were 3 sequels to “Lethal Weapon”. Is there a 4th one too?

I started seeing English movies when I was in 10th standard when STAR Movies and HBO have just started their telecast in India. In those times, the English movies used to come with Hindi sub-titles and believe me, it was funny. Now you would know that in English movies, they somehow always have to say “the Shit” or the F*** word – as a curse or in sheer enjoyment. The translations used to state something like “dhatt tere ki” (oops) or “nalayak kahin ka”(you worthless fellow…) in Hindi. Funny, isn’t it?

I would love to understand the sub titles here too, which are in Dutch but I guess here they could translate the ” F” word literally, being on the same cultural plane. I hope so! Everything apart, I enjoyed the movie and besides, Mel Gibson is 1 of my favourite Hollywood star so this was the best thing I did today.

What I least enjoyed doing today:

I have always like “more”. If I get a salary raise of 1000 rupees, still I would have liked to get more. If I have got 80% marks in exam, I would like to get more marks in next exam. There are only few things that I like less – and my body weight is 1 of them.

I have gained so much weight in last year that I feel ashamed of myself. Though I could see this trend for 3-4 years but I had this strange feeling that it will stop some day. Magically? Yes! After all, there is a limit to which one’s weight could increase but alas, it wasn’t true. Why am I not able to restrict my body weight? I guess that because I love eating food especially in restaurants, at fast food joints or in my own grand kitchen (parathas, pooris, biryani…yummm………).

If I look back, based on my experience, I would categorise the whole process (process….heh!) of gaining weight and then loosing it to be fit in the following stages:

  • Somebody tells you that you are overweight (being underweight is never a problem, if you ask me. I envy those guys who can eat anything on earth and still dont gain an ounce of weight)
  • People keep talking. They are jealous. But in 2nd stage, you realize that indeed, you are overweight. The pants getting tight from waist every 2 months. The length of the pants increses – now this happens because the pant doen’t fit your tummy and it slides to reach the most stable state just beneath your tummy. While stting, you aften use your tummy as hand rest and finally your shirt keep coming out of your pant – I still have to figure, why this happens.
  • In the 3rd stage, you think that you should exercise and restrict yourself from eting fried/unhealthy food to become physically fit again. Mind it, I said think!
  • And in final stage, you actually do exercise and show some restraint to loose weight.

I am stuck in the 3rd stage for long now this feeling made me sad today. I have, yet again make plans to be in final stage. Lets see if I could persist.