Sunday, August 27, 2006

Indian curry with Five Point Someone...

Aug 25, 2006 - Friday

What I enjoyed doing today:

After a long time, I read a novel - "Five Point Someone" by Chetan Bhagat - and I completed it in one sitting. I picked this book because I wanted to read something light, and light it was. I would definitely recommend reading this book because:

  • You can read it anytime; you really don't need to be in any particular frame of mind to read this book.
  • The book is very well written, in a simple language and has a pace that will not let you bore.
  • People, who had lived in hostels, would relate to the story. However, there is a chapter in the book about stealing exam papers in IIT, which is pretty hard for me to believe. After all, IIT is the most prestigious institute in the country.
  • In the end, you would be left with a "feel good factor" and feel that justice was done with each character. They got what they deserved.

I think, I will definitely read 2nd book by the same author pretty soon but for the mean time I have started reading a book - Cross train your brain by Stephan D. Eiffert.

What I didn't enjoy doing today:

Today, I and Shivani, sneaked out from office for lunch. Usually, we don't go out and either relish the home made food or content ourselves with a sandwich. We first went to Fu-Hao, a Chinese restaurant, but it was full and instead of waiting , we decided to go to an Indian restaurant called "Sawad", which is also near our office. We were lucky to get their in time because only 1 table was unoccupied then. Now, we have been to this restaurant many times earlier and we have always liked the food but qfter lunch, we had a mutual feeling of not having great time. We didn't enjoy our lunch - why?

  • It was a buffet. The quality of food was not bad but the staff wasn't caring enough to see if something needed to be re-filled. We have to wait for "Naan" - an Indian bread for about 20 minutes!
  • It was optional in restaurant to have a buffet or order from Menu. I felt that more attention was being given to the people who ordered from the menu.
  • No salad and pappadums in the buffet!
  • We like the restaurants, which are peaceful, have good ambiance and we get proper attention of the staff. Sawad is one of those places but only in the evenings. It is not less than a mess in the afternoon - the place is always full of people, the staff is on their toes to server everyone and such hustle-bustle and not getting proper attention from staff - really bothers me. (Did I mention that there were only 2 staff members to serve around 40 people)

Next time , I think, I would go to a buffet when it just starts. There would be less people around, I would get proper attention of the staff and I would not have to wait for my breads!